International Students

Practical Matters

Supporting Our Foreign Students

This section contains information on living in the U.S., including taxes, identification, health insurance, and other practical matters.

Essential Information

Driving in the U.S.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts allows some international students and scholars to use their home country license while in the U.S. Others should apply for a Massachusetts driver's license. 

Protect Yourself From Scams

Learn more about the types of scams international students and scholars face and how to protect yourself.

Travel & Re-Entry

Learn more about traveling outside the U.S. and re-entering the country.

Social Security Numbers

Generally speaking, Social Security Numbers are available to F-1 and J-1 students who are employed and J-1 scholars.


All international students and scholars are REQUIRED to file U.S. taxes regardless of immigration or income status.

Health Insurance

Health Insurance is required of all students.

Contact Information

International Programs and Education Office
St. Germain Campus Center
Second Floor