Jump to Footer

New Student Housing Selection

In this section, you'll find information about housing selection for new students. If you have any questions after reading everything, please feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life at 413-782-1317.

How to Select Housing: Step by Step Process Description

At Western New England University, there is a three-step process for housing and roommate selection, which takes place through THD. You can access THD through the Connect2U portal:

The first step is the housing application.  The new undergraduate student housing application will be available in THD starting on May 3rd.  The application includes a questionnaire that will help you match with compatible roommates as well as the ability to express interest in the housing that you would like – building preferences, Honors housing, etc.  We encourage you to complete this step by no later than June 1st in order to make sure that your bill will display the charges for housing as accurately as possible (a placeholder charge will be placed on your account until your actual housing assignment is done later in the summer) as well as to make sure that you have the opportunity to connect with other new students.   You can always change your application preferences after you have completed the application, but keep in mind that if you change your preferences for where you would like to live, that could impact your ultimate housing cost.

The second step is matching with roommates.  If you already know who you want to live with, you can form a group with them in THD once you have both completed your housing application.  If you are looking for a roommate, you can search for roommates in THD to find someone compatible based on the questionnaire answers, and then once you find someone you can form a group with them.  Students should complete this step by July 15th.  If you don’t form a group with someone by July 15th, you will be paired with a roommate based on your housing preferences and questionnaire answers. 

The third step is housing placement.   Students who have completed a housing application will be placed in housing no later than July 30th.  When you are placed in housing, you will receive an email from THD confirming your housing assignment and roommate.  Once you have been assigned to housing, your bill will reflect the most accurate housing charges. 

Click here to log in to THD Self-Service

New students should receive an email by May 3rd with information about setting up your WNE email and logging into your Connect2U portal. It is important that you set up your WNE email before completing your housing application, because THD will send a confirmation to your WNE email. 

THD Step-by-Step

Residency Requirement

Because the value of the Western New England University educational experience is found not only inside the classroom but also in the broader campus community, Western New England University requires all first-time, full-time undergraduate students to live on campus for their first and second years at the University. This policy went into effect fall 2019 and does not impact students who enrolled prior to fall 2019.

Exceptions to this policy will be made under the following circumstances:

  1. The student matriculated at the University before fall 2019.
  2. The student is a transfer from another college or university.
  3. The student is living at home with a parent or legal guardian within a 50 mile radius of the University (determined by GPS).
  4. The student is 21 years of age by September 1.
  5. The student is married or in a domestic partnership.
  6. The student has a diagnosed medical condition qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act that affects their ability to successfully live on campus. Documentation and a written recommendation from a treating physician to live off campus must be submitted to Student Disability Services for approval.    

Other exceptions to this policy may be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the extenuating circumstances.  Requests for an exception must be made in writing to the Office of Residence Life two weeks before the first day of classes for the given semester.

Students who fall under this policy and are not granted an exception will be assigned a space and charged for campus housing whether or not they take occupancy. 

Students Who Are Under 18

If a student is under the age of 18 when they fill out their Housing Application on THD, a parent or legal guardian must verify acceptance of the terms of the Resident Student Housing Agreement through an electronic signature. When students fill out their Housing Application, they will see a section where they can provide information for a Parent/Guardian contact. If a student is under 18, an email will be sent to the email address they provide for their Parent/Guardian Contact prompting their parent/guardian to verify the application through an electronic signature. Students who are under 18 will not be able to move forward and select a room until this verification is completed. 

Where do you want to live?

Learning Interest Communities offer an opportunity to share time and space with fellow students who share a common interest such as honors scholarship, business leadership, STEM, Criminal Justice or Social Justice. As a member of these communities, your residential experience will include interest-specific programming, RAs, other mentors, and more. 

Learn More

Special Housing Accommodations

Western New England University is committed to providing students who have a documented disability or medical condition with a safe environment in which to live and study. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the Office of Student Accessibility Services of the nature of their disability and desire to receive a special housing accommodation.

If approved, the Office of Student Accessibility Services will work directly with the Office of Residence Life in an effort to provide a housing accommodation that is appropriate and reasonable. For more information, please contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services at (413) 782-1258.

Click below for more detailed information about special housing accommodations, or visit Student Accessibility Services here.

Accommodations Info

Are you transferring in for the Fall semester?

If you are a new transfer student or an older first year student or exchange student who is requesting that you be placed in sophomore/upperclass housing, you will still fill out a housing application in our online system, THD, but you will fill out the New Transfer & Exchange Student Housing Application.  After you fill out the application, Residence Life will work to place you in housing based on your preferences, space availability and your age/class year.  If you have another transfer or exchange student you would like to live with, you can form a group with them on THD, or you can also request them when filling out the application.  The link for THD Self-Service is below. Your username and password are the same as they are for your WNE email.  

THD Self-Service Link

Information for Transgender and Gender Non-Binary Students

As we recognize the need to support all forms of gender identity and expression in the residence halls, transgender and gender non-binary students are encouraged to contact us at ResidenceLife@wne.edu or by phone at 413-782-1317 so that we can work with you on an individual basis to house you in an environment that supports and reflects your gender identity.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you wondering what it will be like to live on campus?  This website has some great resources that might help. Take a look at our section about Living on Campus. If you can't find the answer to your question on our site, feel free to contact us at 413-782-1317 and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have.