International Students

Glossary of Terms

Quick Resources For International Students

The list of terms below may help faculty better understand the terms many international students and scholars may use. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
CPT is a paid off-campus internship/opportunity directly related to an F-1 student’s field of study. The purpose of CPT is not to facilitate employment authorization but to allow students to participate in training related to their field of study. This is usually an internship for credit or research for a thesis/dissertation.

Students are required to read the CPT Guide and Application Process and complete the CPT Request Form.

Typically, students on CPT will need to enroll in a credit-bearing course. This course must be approved by faculty members.

Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitors (J-1 students, scholars, and their dependents). This document must be maintained and active throughout their time in the U.S.

The Designated School Official (DSO) is a staff member who is the liaison between the students and scholars and the Department of Homeland Security. DSOs are responsible for learning, interpreting, and applying laws and government policies pertaining to F-1 students, signing I-20’s, and creating and updating SEVIS records. At Western New England University, DSOs can be found in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), International Admissions, and Student Affairs. ISSS should be your first contact for matters concerning international students and scholars on campus.

F visa status
A non-immigrant who is pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific educational or professional objective at a U.S. academic institution that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security to offer courses of study, and has been enrolled in SEVIS.

H-1B visa status
H-1B is a dual intent visa that allows a foreign national employee to work in a "specialty occupation" for a limited period of time. H-1B sponsorship through the prospective employer may be applied for either while in the U.S. or from abroad. H-1B visas last for no more than six years and are subject to a quota or 'cap' per fiscal year. The initial filing period for H-1B petitions begins on 01 April of each year, for employment beginning in 01 October of that year. Those on H-1b status are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.

A government form used F-1 students and their dependents. This document must be maintained and active in order to be in legal status in the U.S. during the course of the F-1 student’s studies

Prior to April 2013, individuals entering the U.S. were issued a paper I-94 card (little white card). As of April 30, 2013, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer require international visitors to fill out a paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record upon arrival to the U.S. by air or sea. The agency will gather travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records. Land borders may still issue a paper I-94.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
ISSS provides advising, immigration services, programming, advocacy, and outreach for the international student and scholar population at Western New England University.

J Visa status
There are many J-1 "categories," one of which is student and short-term researcher. All exchange students at the University are on J-1 visa status. The general purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange to develop mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries.  50% or more funding must come from a source other than personal or family funds.

Non-Immigrant vs. Immigrant
A non-immigrant is someone who seeks temporary entry to the U.S. for a specific purpose. The non-immigrant must have a permanent residence abroad (for most classes of admission) and plan to return home. An immigrant is someone who enters the U.S. planning to remain permanently. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
OPT provides off-campus work authorization either during their degree program or after for F-1 students. Most students participate in OPT once they complete their degree.

Students typically receive one year of OPT but STEM students are eligible for 2 year extension.

Students must read and complete the OPT Application Packet and the OPT STEM Extension Packet. There is a short section for faculty to complete on the ISSS OPT Request Form included in the packet.

Responsible Officers are appointed by the exchange visitors’ (J visa) program sponsor to perform the duties set forth in regulations, signs DS-2019’s, creates and updates J-1 records in SEVIS. At Western New England University, ROs can be found in ISSS and International Admissions. ISSS should be your first contact for matters concerning international students and scholars on campus.

Student Exchange and Visitor Information System. Tracks information on F, J, and M visa holders. Immigration data is entered into this federally-managed database. The University's DSOs manage student data as a representative of USCIS.

Two Year Home Residency requirement aka 212(e)
The two-year home country physical presence requirement is one of the most important requirements of exchange visitor status. Some J-1 exchange visitors and their dependents are subject to the 212(e).

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is the government agency responsible for administering immigration benefits for eligible foreign nationals in the U.S.

A visa is a ‘ticket’ for entry to the country upon arrival. International students and scholars may be in the U.S. with an expired visa, but they may not return to the United States until they present a valid visa, valid passport, and I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed within the previous year. 

Visa Application
Visa applications may be submitted to U.S. Consulates and Embassies up to 90 days before the program start date listed on the I-20/DS-2019 and students and scholars may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the program start date.

Contact Information

International Programs and Education Office
St. Germain Campus Center
Second Floor