International Students


Important Tax Information

IMPORTANT: This information is provided as guidance only and is not intended to be tax advice. ISSS staff is NOT qualified to answer individual questions from international students/scholars regarding taxes nor are we legally allowed to do so. If you have additional questions please consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), local and state tax agencies, and tax professionals for advice and guidance regarding your individual tax situations.

*If you are an F-1 student and have been in the U.S. for less than five years or a J-1 student or scholar and have been in the U.S. for less than two years, you are considered a non-resident for taxes purposes and should use non-resident tax forms.

 *If you are an F-1 student and have been in the U.S. for more than five years or are a J-1 student or scholar and have been in the U.S. for more than two years, you are considered a resident for taxes purposes and should instead file 1040 EZ or 1040 or 1040A. See below for more information on filing as a resident. 

The information below is ONLY for non-residents for tax purposes.

To determine if you are a non-resident or resident for tax purposes, please click here

**Students and Scholars should NOT use online tax software like Turbo Tax and H & R Block as these are designed for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents. Non-Resident Aliens on F and J visas follow different tax laws. The tax software options for non-resident aliens are below.**

International Students and Scholars at Western New England University need to be aware of your U.S. tax obligations. U.S. tax laws distinguish between residents and non-residents for tax purposes. Non-residents only pay taxes on U.S. source income, while residents follow the same tax rules as U.S. citizens and pay taxes on their worldwide income. Most incoming F and J visa holders are considered non-residents (F and J students for the first five calendar years in the United States and J-1 scholars for the first two calendar years in the United States). To determine if you are a non-resident or resident for tax purposes, please click here

*Please note that being a Resident Alien for tax purposes has NO bearing on your immigration status. It does not get you a "green card."*

Explore More

Contact Information

International Programs and Education Office
St. Germain Campus Center
Second Floor