Students walking on campus

Withdrawals or Leaves of Absence

Take Some Time Away

Many students take planned time away from WNE or need to stop taking classes unexpectedly, while others choose to withdraw or transfer. Planning your time away and telling the university what you intend to do can make your exit from—as well as re-entry back into school—easier, help you avoid unnecessary hurdles, and get you support to ease the transition.

Students who plan to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the university are urged to use the Withdrawal Checklist. Please follow the instructions to make sure you withdraw successfully. Graduate and Doctoral Professional Practice students are especially encouraged to consult with their Academic Dean’s Office. If you are a student and want to withdraw from the university or take a leave of absence, complete the WNE University Withdrawal/Leave Form.

Mid-Semester Medical Leave of Absence

Undergraduate students who need to discontinue studies during the course of a semester for medical reasons (physical and/or mental health) can request a mid-semester medical leave.

Undergraduate students who are having medical difficulty are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students office to discuss the details of the medical leave request and to explore options to support their long-term success. The Dean of Students office will confer with other University offices as needed on issues affecting the student and their studies. Graduate and professional students should contact their academic dean’s office. More information about Medical Leaves can be found in the current academic catalog. Undergraduate students may request a medical leave of absence from the university by submitting the WNE Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form and submitting supporting documentation as described in the Medical Leave policy.

University Withdrawal or Personal Leave of Absence

Students may officially withdraw or request a personal leave of absence from the university by submitting the WNE Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form. Students who leave during a semester receive a “W” for each course in which they are enrolled if the effective date is before the “Last day for withdrawing from courses with ‘W’ on transcript” as posted on the Academic Calendar; students withdrawing after this date will receive letter grades for their courses. More information about withdrawals and the Withdrawal and Refund Policy can be found in the current academic catalog.

Effective Date

The effective date of an official withdrawal or leave of absence is the date the student submits the WNE Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Form or the last documented date of an academically-related activity in which the student participated.

Absence from class without completing the official withdrawal/leave process does not constitute withdrawal nor does the submission of course drop/withdrawal forms. If a student leaves the University without providing official notification, the withdrawal date is the midpoint of the payment period or period of enrollment, as applicable, or the last documented date of an academically-related activity in which the student participated. Academically-related activities include physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students; submitting an academic assignment; taking an exam; participating in an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction; attending a study group that is assigned by the University; participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

How to Return to WNE 

Undergraduate Students

Students who left the university in good standing may apply to resume their studies by completing the Request for Reactivation form on the Registrar Forms page. You will be notified in writing of your readmission status.

Students on academic suspension can register at the same time they normally do during Priority Registration during the semester of their suspension. Students should work with their advisor to plan courses and receive clearance to register on the same timeline as if they were actively taking classes. For deadlines and more specific information please check with your academic dean’s office.

Graduate and Professional Doctorate Students

Eligibility for readmission is limited to students who were in good standing at the time of their withdrawal. Courses older than eight years cannot be used toward the degree.

We want your transition back to be as smooth as possible. If you have questions or concerns about what you are required to do, please feel free to reach out to or call Enrollment Services at 413-796-2080.

Contact Information

Enrollment Services
1215 Wilbraham Road
Springfield, MA 01119

413-796-2080 Phone
413-796-2081 Fax
Contact Us