Jump to Footer

Living On Campus

Living on Campus

Are Students Required to Live on Campus?

Because Western New England University values the educational experiences found both inside the classroom and also in the broader campus community, all full-time undergraduate students are required to live on campus for their first and second years at the University. 

Exceptions to this policy will be made under the following circumstances:

  1. The student is living at home with a parent or legal guardian within a 50 mile radius of the University (determined by GPS).
  2. The student is a transfer from another college or university.
  3. The student is 21 years of age by September 1, 2022.
  4. The student is married or in a domestic partnership.
  5. The student has a diagnosed medical condition qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act that affects their ability to successfully live on campus. Documentation and a written recommendation from a treating physician to live off campus must be submitted to Student Accessibility Services for approval.    

Requests for other exceptions to this policy must be made in writing to the Office of Residence Life at least one month before the first day of classes for the given semester and may be considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the extenuating circumstances.  

Students who fall under this policy and are not granted an exception will be charged for campus housing as of the first day of classes regardless of whether or not they take occupancy. First year students will be charged the Quad/Windham rate of $3,715/semester. Sophomore, junior, and senior students will be charged the Commonwealth Hall rate of $4,410/semester. 

Where Living and Learning Merge

The Office of Residence Life offers a unique experience for students. Each member of the residential community engages in intentional learning outside of the classroom and is given the opportunity to provide feedback and participate in assessment of the program. Through this process, each student becomes a partner and facilitator, assisting each student in becoming an integral member of the Western New England University community.

Our educational priority is direct and pointed. Upon completion of residing on campus, the student will demonstrate personal responsibility and engagement within the community. This is achieved with the following outcomes in mind:


Students will recognize that responsible citizenship includes a personal commitment to respect others and actively engage in their community. The student will develop and practice skills essential for productive living as a community member. Through these experiences, the student will be prepared to craft their role as a citizen in order to positively contribute to the betterment of society.


The student will compare and evaluate various thoughts, opinions, and beliefs in order to continuously develop their personal value system. The student will be able to articulate this value system and the perspectives it generates in order to participate in meaningful discussions in which individual viewpoints are treated with respect.


The student will engage in opportunities to capitalize on academic success while also recognizing learning is more than classroom performance. In doing so, they will gain the ability and desire to seek out knowledge for both its practical implications and intrinsic value. Utilizing the resources to support lifelong learning, students will be positioned to succeed in the global workforce and as contributing members of society.

With independent goals based on class year, residents will engage in well-developed and intended programs, discussions and opportunities (independently and in groups) to develop and further enhance their personal character and identity.

Housing Rates

Per semester rates for different undergraduate housing options for 2022-2023 can be found below. Graduate Housing rates can be found in the graduate housing section of this website. Please understand all rates are subject to Board of Trustee approval.

Housing Rates:

The Quad and Windham* - $3,715 per semester

The Quad and Windham Premium Single* - $4,830 per semester

Commonwealth Hall* & LaRiviere Center* - $4,410 per semester

Commonwealth & LaRiviere Premium Single* - $5,730 per semester

Gateway Village - $4,410 per semester

Evergreen Village & Southwood Hall (double room) - $6,250 per semester

Southwood Hall (single room) - $6,775 per semester

* - The Quad, Windham, Commonwealth and LaRiviere all require either a 7 Day All Access Meal Plan (for first year students) or a 12 Meals a Week Plan (available for upperclass students).

Room Changes

Students who want to request a room change should speak with the staff in their residence hall first. If, after working with their Residence Director, it is determined that a room change is the best option, the staff will work with the Housing & Residence Life office to provide available room change options.


The condition of a room is the full responsibility of the occupants, in terms of cleanliness and care of University property. The community bathrooms in the traditional residence areas are cleaned regularly by University personnel, as are corridors and lounges. However, misuse of public space (littering, for example) will either be corrected through an "on-the-spot floor program" with residents, who rightfully have collective responsibility for the living space they share, or charged to students if the services of housekeeping personnel are required to rectify the situation. Gateway, Evergreen and Southwood residents are fully responsible for the care and upkeep of their living spaces. LaRiviere and Plymouth residents are also responsible for the care and upkeep of their living spaces, although LaRiviere common areas and bathrooms are cleaned periodically and shower curtains are provided.


Unless a student is invited to campus for a specific purpose (such as athletics, band, U&ME mentoring, etc.), students are expected to arrive on their scheduled dates (August 25th for new students; August 28th or 29th for returning students). Legitimate early arrivals will be issued a key to their actual housing assignment at the designated arrival time. Meals for early arrivals are arranged for and provided by the group the student is arriving early with.  Arrival dates are subject to modification based on Covid protocol needs.


Yes, if you are going to be an exchange student at Western New England University for a semester or a year, you are required to live on campus.



The policies developed by the University exist to provide students, individually and collectively, as members of a larger community with a frame of reference and specific expectations to promote good judgment and informed decision making. These policies are not simply a list of necessary restrictions or limitations on behavior or use of physical space; they exist to inform students of both their rights and their responsibilities as resident students. Policies are designed to help ensure personal safety, care of University property, and the development of an orderly and respectful environment conducive to academic achievement and personal growth. Resident students should refer to the 2022-2023 Resident Student Housing Agreement and other information distributed throughout the year for a full description of all relevant guidelines, policies, and procedures. Behavior contrary to University policies and/or local, state, and federal laws and ordinances are addressed through established discipline review processes. Refer to your Student Code of Conduct, found in the Student Handbook, for clarification. An additional resource includes the Definitions and Appeal brochure for the student judicial system.

In the case of emergency, be sure that you are familiar with the evacuation plan for the residence areas and the Emergency Assembly Points.



We have a smoke free policy in all residence areas. Smoking is not allowed in all public/commonly shared space as well as individual student rooms, suites, apartments, and townhouses. Smoking is also not permitted within 25 feet of all University buildings. We cannot guarantee, however, that any resident (as a roommate, suitemate, etc.) will be a non-smoker, only that smoking is prohibited within the living environment. The same policy applies to e-cigarettes and vaping.


There are no curfews in student housing. Residents have around-the-clock access to their assigned building through their student ID card and are fully responsible for anyone visiting them. There are also no pre-determined time limits for visiting in student housing. However, visitors should not interfere with a resident’s right to reasonable privacy and legitimate use of their living space. Students should discuss guest policies with their roommate(s) once they’ve moved in.


A resident (host) may have a visitor spend the night, with the knowledge and consent of the roommate. Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests, who must abide by all University policies. In addition, the presence of a guest should not inconvenience the roommate. Students should think carefully about who they invite to visit, and monitor visitors’ actions carefully. The University also reserves the right to require a guest to depart at any point in time.


Students of legal age may consume alcohol (responsibly) if assigned to Southwood Hall, Evergreen Village or Gateway Village, which are of-age residence areas. Students who choose to drink in an underage residence facility or public area of the campus should be prepared to be held accountable. Illegal substances are obviously prohibited and prescription medication must only be used as directed. While taking an educational approach, dependent on the circumstances, drug-related behavior (possession, use, sharing/distribution) is taken seriously within the University judicial process. 


If University records indicate that a student is a dependent, or if authorization has been given by the student to share information, we may communicate with parents/guardians. If misconduct is such that the outcome is censure, disciplinary probation, or removal from housing, we will send parents/guardians a copy of the decision letter addressed to the student (with a courtesy cover letter of explanation.) This approach is intended to give the student time to communicate with parents/guardians first. The decision letter also explains the appeal process. If a parent/guardian would like additional clarification after they have discussed the matter with the student, they may contact the individual who rendered the decision. We know this is a stressful experience and we do our best to ensure conversations are meaningful and productive.

Quiet Hours

Each residence area has quiet hours, beginning at 10:00 p.m. on weeknights and at midnight on weekends. Given the number of students living on any given floorr, quiet hours are intended to promote an environment conducive to study and rest. This is a group responsibility, in that each resident has an obligation to monitor themselves and confront others who may be too noisy. If a resident attempts to ask a neighbor to respect quiet hours and is unsuccessfulthey can contact a Resident Advisor for assistance. There are also extended quiet hours during finals week.


If you lose your key, all you have to do is log in to the work order system in Connect2U and click on Facilities. When the new work order opens, select Locksmith in the “Request Type” menu and then you’ll be able to complete the work order and submit it. The work order will then be sent to the Locksmiths who will respond to it in a timely manner (they are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.). This process should be used for any non-emergency lost key.

If your key is stolen, that would qualify as an emergency and should be reported directly to Campus Police immediately so that they can take your report and change your lock. Please be advised that a lost key will cost you $100, so please be sure that your key is lost before you submit your work order. If you find your key after your lock has already been changed, it will be too late and you will still be responsible for the $100 charge.


Dining Plans

Students (residents and commuters) can select or change their dining plan in our online system, The Housing Director (THD). Click here to get to THD Self-Service. Your username and password are the same as they are for all other WNE systems. Once you've logged in to THD Self-Service, select Dining on the left-hand menu, make sure you are in the correct semester and then you can select a plan. For Fall 2021, students have until September 10th to change or cancel plans for the Fall semester. 

Dining plans come in different options to best fit the needs of our students. Students living in traditional residence areas are required to be part of a dining plan, while students living in Gateway Village, Evergreen Village, and Southwood Hall, as well as commuter students, have the option of adding a dining plan. In addition to the standard dining plans, students may also purchase Bear Bucks that they can use to make purchases at any dining location on campus, as well as at Domino's Pizza.  Bear Bucks cannot be purchased through THD, but can be purchased through Enrollment Services.  

The University hopes to reduce the stress of college by making the dining process as easy as possible. Once a student has purchased a dining plan, they have access to the dining hall from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends. To learn more about the different plans we offer, please see below.

Mandatory (Traditional Residence Areas) Meal Plan Information

All first year resident students participate in the University's 7 Day All Access meal plan. Students have unlimited access to the dining hall every day while it is open. Participation is automatic and meal plans are added for students before they move in.

Upperclass resident students residing in Commonwealth Hall, LaRiviere, and Windham Hall may elect to participate in the 7 Day All Access Plan or the Weekly 12 Meal Plan.

Voluntary (On-Campus Apartment Areas and Commuters) Meal Plans

Meal plans for students residing in Evergreen Village, Gateway Village, and Southwood Hall differ as these on-campus apartments provide full kitchens for the preparation of meals.

Once a student has elected to participate in a voluntary meal plan, participation and subsequent billing is binding for the balance of the academic year. There are two "open enrollment" periods at the start of each semester during which a student may change or delete his/her voluntary meal plan. Meal plan adjustments must occur by Friday, September 10, 2021 for the Fall 2021 semester.

Below you will find the meal plan options:

7 Day All Access ($3,620 per semester) - Unlimited access to the dining hall 7 days a week during operating hours. Also includes Bear Swipe access to retail locations, up to 19 times per week. Includes 10 Spirit Meals and $150 Bear Bucks.

Weekly 12 Meal Plan ($3,135 per semester) -12 Bear Swipes per week in the dining hall or retail locations during operating hours. Includes 10 Spirit Meals and $50 Bear Bucks.

125 Meal Plan ($2,150 per semester) - 125 Bear Swipes in the dining hall or retail locations which can be used at any time during the semester. Includes 5 Spirit Meals and $500 Bear Bucks

100 Meal Plan ($1,660 per semester) - 100 Bear Swipes in the dining hall or retail locations which can be used at any time during the semester. Includes 5 Spirit Meals and $350 Bear Bucks.

85 Meal Plan ($1,530 per semester) - 85 Bear Swipes in the dining hall or retail locations which can be used at any time during the semester. Includes 5 Spirit Meals and $300 Bear Bucks.

55 Meal Plan ($980 per semester) - 55 Bear Swipes in the dining hall or retail locations which can be used at any time during the semester. Includes 5 Spirit Meals $150 Bear Bucks.

Note:  Bear Swipes can be used at all retail locations for an equivalent meal (typically, entrée, bag of chips, and fountain beverage). The 7 Day All Access Plan allows up to 19 swipes per week at retail locations.  

What are Spirit Meals? Spirit Meals are extra meals that you can use to scan a visitor or a friend without a meal plan into the dining hall so that a guest can eat with you without you having your use your Bear Bucks.

Parents/Guardians: Parents and guardians can eat for free in the dining hall when accompanied by their student.


For students assigned to Berkshire, Commonwealth, Franklin, Hampden and Windham halls, the University provides a combined microwave-refrigerator unit (one per room.)  Suites in LaRiviere Center are provided with a microwave in the common area of the suite. Students residing in traditional or suite-style residence areas are NOT permitted to bring their own microwave to campus. This is for safety concerns and power usage in student housing.

Gateway and Evergreen Villages, as well as Southwood Hall provide complete apartments for independent student living. Therefore students residing in one of these three areas may bring a microwave for use in their kitchen.


Only compact refrigerators are allowed in student rooms. The size should not exceed 3.5 cubic feet. This is based on electrical usage and space considerations. In rooms where we provide a microwave-refrigerator unit, only one student owned refrigerator may be brought to campus. Roommates should discuss this matter, so as to avoid bringing a refrigerator that will need to make a return trip home on opening weekend.


New residents in traditional housing are automatically registered as a participant in the University's full meal plan: All Access to the Dining Hall 7 days a week. There are no alternative meal plans for first year students in the traditional halls, but there are many food choices offered at each meal. Sophomore and upperclass students in LaRiviere, Commonwealth, and Windham Hall can also choose the 12 Weekly Meal Plan. Meal plan participation becomes optional only when a student is assigned to an apartment or townhouse in Gateway, Evergreen or Southwood, where each unit has a complete kitchen. However students may purchase Bear Bucks to supplement (not replace) the meal plan. Bear Bucks can be purchased at the bank window in Enrollment Services or the Dining Services (Aramark) office in the University Commons.   


DB Points can be purchased from the Enrollment Services offices. Then, bring your receipt and your ID card to the dining office.


Yes, you can use your DB Points to order from Dominos.

  • Sun - Thurs:   5:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
  • Fri - Sat:        5:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.


Lost cards must be reported immediately to Public Safety. You can obtain a replacement card at Public Safety, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., phone number 413-782-1207


For any other questions or concerns you may have concerning meal plans or food services, please call the Director of Dining Services at: 413-796-2014


Television on Campus

Western New England University provides XFINITY ON CAMPUS as our campus television service. XFINITY ON CAMPUS lets students watch live TV and thousands of Xfinity On Demand selections on their laptops, desktops and mobile devices, as well as on traditional flat screen televisions. In order to use a traditional flat screen television to use this service, you must either have a Roku enabled television, or a Roku device that works with your television.  Below you'll find a document with more specific information on Roku devices and instructions for how to access XFINITY ON CAMPUS with different devices.

If you're having trouble with the network or logging in to XFINITY ON CAMPUS, you can place a work order with OIT or contact the OIT helpdesk at 413-796-2200. Once you have successfully logged in to XFINITY ON CAMPUS, if you have any issues with the service itself, you'll be working directly with Comcast customer service. There's a support tab within the platform which should be able to help you, but if you cannot find it or are having trouble with it, you can also call their customer support at 1-800-XFINITY.


Heat & Air Conditioning

General Reminders

Heating and cooling seasons.  Depending on the time of year, the University is either in a heating season or a cooling season.  Except for where window AC units are installed, we cannot instantaneously convert from heating to cooling (or vice-versa).  It takes some time to transition the residence hall HVAC systems.  When the conversion occurs is determined by Facilities Management and depends on actual and forecasted outside air temperatures. 

Temperatures rise and fall. The residence halls are well insulated and retain temperatures.  Unexpected heat waves or cold spells may take a little while for inside temperatures to respond and adjust.  This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the time of year and individual comfort levels.  In general, when outside temperatures drop and consistently remain below 60 degree during heating season, heat will be on.  When outside temperatures rise above 60 degrees during cooling season, AC will be working.  Remember, lighting, electronic equipment, open or closed windows and doors, and body heat all have an impact on inside temperatures. 

Close that window.  Leaving windows open during heating season as an attempt to moderate room temperatures may be counter-productive and actually call for more unwanted heat in the room or elsewhere in the building.  Likewise, opening windows during cooling season to get fresh air causes HVAC systems to work harder and contributes to humidity issues. Please do not leave windows open.

Let it flow.  Do not block HVAC units and radiators. Heating and cooling systems require good air flow and circulation (convection) to work effectively.  If possible, avoid placing anything over or against HVAC units or radiators.  Leave space for Facilities Management staff to access the units as necessary for ongoing maintenance and filter replacement (where applicable).

Submit work orders.  A work order should be submitted anytime there is a concern that heating/cooling systems are not working properly.  Instances of NO HEAT during heating season should be reported to staff and called in to Facilities Management (413-782-1737) or to Public Safety after hours (413-782-1207). 

How Does My Heat & AC Work


Laundry on campus is included with your housing charge and does not require any additional payment with coins or your student ID card. 

If you live in Evergreen, Gateway, or Southwood, you can use Laundryview to see if machines are available before you go to your laundry room. Click here for Laundryview.


The traditional corridor-style halls (Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, and Windham) which accommodate first year students, Commonwealth Hall, Plymouth Complex, Evergreen Village, Southwood Hall and LaRiviere Living and Learning Center have twin extra long mattresses in student rooms. Gateway Village has twin regular mattresses the student rooms. Pillows and linens are not provided, however, you may purchase linens from the Residence Hall Association here.


YES. Furniture is free standing and can be modified in a number of ways–such as loft-style, where the desk and dresser are situated below an elevated bed frame and mattress, or with the bed near to the floor, traditional style. Tools such as a screwdriver and adjustable wrench may be required if parts are involved. In whatever manner a room is set up for student use; all University owned furniture and personal belongings must be kept there. Storage space is not available during the academic year. Students will be billed for any missing or damaged parts, so care should be taken when rearranging or modifying the design or set-up of room furniture.


No. Bedrooms in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Commonwealth and Southwood have window shades. Windham, LaRiviere and Evergreen have curtains. Gateway bedrooms have frosted/privacy windows. Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, LaRiviere and Gateway have tile floors in the bedrooms. Commonwealth and Evergreen bedrooms are carpeted. Students may bring area rugs if they wish. Students may not install curtains except in Gateway bedrooms using fire resistant curtains.


Fish, in a 10 gallon tank or smaller, are the only type of pet allowed. Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals are permitted.  ESAs must be approved through Student Disability Services.


All of our residence hall rooms provide both hard wired and wireless internet access.


We provide ample furniture, so students should think carefully about bringing any additional items, and should definitely communicate with their roommate before doing so. Personal furniture may be added on a limited basis. In all housing areas except Gateway Village, the student is permitted to bring single-seat supplemental items which meet the standard of California Technical Bulletin 117 (CAL 117). In Gateway Village, single-seat personal furniture must meet the standard of California Technical Bulletin 133 (CAL 133). The University reserves the right to limit the amount and size of supplemental seating students may bring into the room or apartment. Halogen lamps and air conditioners are not allowed in student housing. Note that fines may be implemented for the presence and/or use of prohibited items. These may be billed to a specific individual, or may be billed to both roommates (regardless of who owns the prohibited commodity) as a collective responsibility in shared living space. Detailed information is in the Resident Student Housing Agreement.


All main campus residence halls are centrally airconditioned except Plymouth.  All Gateway apartments have have window mounted air conditioning units in living rooms.


As part of the University’s commitment to sustainability, we ask that you not dispose of electronics, or anything with a power cord, on campus. Electronic devices (most notably televisions) contain hazardous materials. We ask that you take your electronic devices home with you. If you are planning to dispose of these devices, your home town most likely has a recycling program for such materials. 

Students who leave electronic devices behind will be subject to cleaning and disposal fees, as you would be with any trash or items left behind after you check-out. Additionally, if electronic items are found in a dumpster, and the student(s) responsible can be identified, that student or students will also be subject to fines for disposal. 

Please help us maintain our commitment to sustainability, and thank you for your cooperation.


Click here for helpful information if you've had a problem with a vending machine in the residence halls.

Getting Involved on Campus

Getting Involved

Many programs and events occur throughout the academic year, sponsored either by student groups or departments like Student Activities, Residence Life, and Diversity Programs. We also work to ensure that activities occur on weekends. The most successful students are those who seek out opportunities to get involved, and students who make an effort to stay on campus on weekends.

We strongly encourage students to attend events and join a club or organization. One such organization on campus is the Residence Hall Association (RHA). Students can get involved with RHA by joining the Hall Council in their building. More information about RHA can be found here.

BEAR Program

Building Experiences Among Residents, or BEAR, is a year-long program that provides opportunities for first year students to get involved in the Western New England community, and to become acclimated as a member of the student body. A monthly calendar is produced that offers specific program opportunities selected intentionally to get students involved in the campus community. By attending and checking-in at these programs, students earn points that are applied towards their sophomore year housing selection. Two larger scale programs, in the fall–BEAR OLYMPICS–and in the spring–BEAR BBQ–are also put on to provide first year students the opportunity to create an initial interaction with one another, and then to celebrate their successful completion of their first year on campus.


BEAR Olympics typically occurs on Monday of Labor Day weekend.

What are the benefits of the BEAR program?

Student Engagement

BEAR introduces students to new opportunities to get involved in both on-campus and community-wide programming, while providing flexibility to explore their interests within their learning interest communities.

Personal Development

BEAR programs provide experiences that engage students in self-exploration in order to maximize strengths, challenge limitations, and enhance personal success goals.

Intellectual Development

BEAR programs include opportunities for students to connect their “in-class” learning with “real life” experiences outside the classroom environment.

What can you do in the BEAR program?

Make connections to peers and campus community

Take initiative through established opportunities, programs, and communities

Explore current interests and learn about potential new interests

Make Friends faster through common interests and Learning Interest Communities

Influence Your Future by developing leadership skills as well as by earning points toward future housing options

Tools and Resources to establish academic and personal success

For more information about the BEAR Program please contact Ryan Begin, Assistant Director of Residence Life (ryan.begin@wne.edu).