Students walking through campus

Appeal and Grievance Procedures

Advocate For Yourself

The University and The Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) support you in your right to file a grievance or a determination appeal when you believe you have been denied equal access in the form of appropriate accommodations, modifications, auxiliary aids, or effective communication or suffered discriminatory harassment as described in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.

A student may appeal a SAS accommodation determination by utilizing the SAS Appeal and Grievance Procedures.

Resolving Conflicts with the University, Faculty or Staff, University Departments, Program, and Organization, including Student Accessibility Services

  • Students are encouraged to discuss their concerns with Student Accessibility Services staff as their first step.
  • If either the student or the SAS Staff thinks that a satisfactory resolution to their conflict is still not reached, the student may consult with the SAS Director or designee.
  • If a satisfactory resolution is still not reached, the student may file a complaint using the WNE Student Complaint System. The process representatives will review the complaint and determine an appropriate resolution.

Resolving Alleged Discrimination

In situations where students allege discrimination students have the option of filing formal a formal complaint with Sarah Butterick, WNE Title IX and Compliance Officer.